« Home | In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. » | 2006 Thus Far » | The Neu mann... » | Roses, Juniper and Leftovers » | Big Day! » | advent-ure » | St. Thomas day, St. Thomas gray, the longest night... » | Tweaking the OGA website » | Here we go a'wassailing » | 'Nother Celtic Feast »

The Lamp of Monasticism


I had been looking forward to preparing a nice feast in honor of Saint Antony on my day off for quite some time. He's a pretty important figure for any monastic-anything to give tribute to.

Well, things didn't turn out exactly like I'd planned, but I think everything was fine in the end.

I decided this would be the perfect time to christen the primo new grill (that's really it's name) that the Bakers gave to us on the day of the wedding. After all, what could be more honoring to an Egytian saint then grilled kabobs, right? Well, it took me way too long to figure out how to get the fire hot enough, but when I did we were blessed with some delicious "egyptian-marinated" chicken kabobs. The Phoenicia Bakery supplied the hummus, pita, tabouli and baklava to go with it.

Just as I was about to give my speil about Antony, Connor came dancing down the stairs, humming "The Ants Go Marching" (no, not Dave Matthews) at concert-level volume. In spite of his impatience, I again managed to read this to the group.

After so many minor distractions today, I think I can appreciate Antony's desire to live out his faith as a hermit even more...

Related:
Arlen is now Antony
Wikipedia
The Life of Anthony by Athanasius
The existing monastery
a coptic monastery in cali

|